Saturday, February 9, 2013

Work Weekend

My husband and I are working this weekend. We work one weekend a month at our apartment building and it’s actually not a bad job. We have office hours from noon to three on Saturdays and one to four on Sundays and are on call until eleven. I just feel like my life revolves around office hours.
So far today I felt like I haven’t actually accomplished anything other than work related things. Thats not to say that I ever really accomplish anything on Saturdays, I just don’t like having the option of being able to taken away.
Actually, what it comes down to is that I don’t like being told what to do. I love hanging around my apartment, tell me I can’t leave my apartment building and suddenly I have the overwhelming urge to not be in my apartment anymore.
You’d think that this wouldn’t work out very well for me in the working world but it isn’t really too much of a problem. Most people I work around don’t tell me what to do; they ask politely. Is that a Midwestern thing? I have this preconception in my mind of bosses ordering employees around but I can’t remember the last time that happened to me. Actually I do, I think it was 2010 and I was working in a movie theater and it wasn’t even that much of a command, my boss just snapped at me for sitting on something that wasn’t meant to be sat on.

I digress, back to the working at the apartment. I’ve shown one apartment twice today, a really nice one bedroom. I feel like as far as our one bedrooms go that this one is pretty great. It’s got a shape that isn’t square, two balconies and a really cool kitchen layout. I feel like I’m just not selling it though. I ramble off the things included in rent, the basics in the building and then I just stand there awkwardly. “Any other questions?” They never have any other questions.
I find this worrisome. I want to be good at showing apartments; I really do enjoy it. I've been doing it long enough that I should be better at it though. 
My husband wants to own apartment buildings someday and right now the tentative plan is that he’ll work a 9 to 5 job while I run the apartments. I’d show them, do the leasing, answer maintenance calls and things like that. And I really really want to do that, it sounds pretty ideal to me, but I’m afraid that I can’t. That I won’t be able to convince people that our apartment building is the apartment building for them.
I thought about getting a Realtor's license, just to take the classes and learn and maybe to try my hand at Realty for a while. There are so many reasons not to though, the classes could be expensive, it would take away from my time I spend with my husband, I’d get a license in our current state and then have to get a new one when we move in a few months (assuming I understand realty correctly.)
I don’t know what to do. Luckily for me owning an apartment building isn’t going to happen too soon, we need to save up for buying a condo or a small house first. Maybe I’ll get better at showing apartments? Maybe I’m worrying for nothing.

EJHKX3M7P8AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment