Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday and Social Anxiety

The Super Bowl is a social event - maybe not for everyone, but definitely for me because that's the way my husband wants it to be. He's invited his friends over for it, which basically double my social exposure out side of work for the week.

I'm not excited. That has nothing to do with the Super Bowl, I like watching it for the commercials as much as the next non-football fan. I'm not excited because while I've spent a ton of time around these people (and been good friends with one since 2007) having them over still makes me nervous. Which brings me to my point.

I think I have a mild form of Social Anxiety.

A link for the curious: Wikipedia on Social Anxiety

Or is that just an excuse for being shy? How do I even tell? I have my good days. When there are just a few of the husband's friends over, the ones I know pretty well I can have normal conversations. But when the husband brings over a new friends I've noticed I'm a lot more quiet.

I know I have a problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Honestly I don't really want to fix it. I like my life. I enjoy spending time with just my husband. I talk to my three coworkers easily enough. I miss my best friend (she moved after college). But I'll live near her again soon enough. My husband is concerned about my lack of friends but I just can't make myself care.

Maybe someday things will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment